Thursday 22 October 2015

Not a book review - just a blog post this time (on the importance of eschatology, no less!)

I'm not going to make a habit of posting things that are not reviews, but since I don't think I'll write other things often enough to make a separate blog, I thought I'd just put this here, and hopefully get some comments from folk.

This came about because of a comment in a discussion group, along the lines of "please don't argue; eschatology is not worth discussing, let's just use the time for useful things like praying, witnessing, or praising" when a discussion on the subject of end times grew a little frustrating for some.  And I recognised that view, of believing no one could know about the end time, so it wasn't worth discussing or reading about, because I used to hold it.  After having left the whole "Left Behind" and dispensational mindset I just wanted to avoid the whole topic. Over the years I've gradually taken up some beliefs which I trust are Biblical but I don't have my beliefs all worked out.  After I get through a great number of other things that I'm reading or planning to read, I do hope to look into eschatology at least a little bit.  I suppose I could start with seeing what my own confession says about it, eh?

Here was my reply to the friend who thought people should stop discussing eschatology:

 I believe that it does really matter. I'm not sure exactly what I believe (although I have a few things I do know, or know I don't believe) in the area of eschatology - but I know it matters. It matters because the Lord has put such things in His word - in order to know Him and His will for us and the world. If He has put it in His word, we ought to be studying it. Whatever it is, and however difficult it is. 
"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

One of the ways that human beings learn is by discussing things with others.

Prophecy takes up a lot of the Bible - over a third of it is, so oughtn't we to think it important?

Eschatology is about God's plans for mankind and Himself. Our view of what will happen at the end does have ramifications for how we think, and how we live our lives now. People who believe Jesus is coming back any minute tend to emphasize certain things, and even live a certain way, and there can be some specific errors they fall into. People who believe other things will emphasize certain other things. Eschatology can influence our political views (i.e. Israel).

There are some really unbiblical teachings out there about the end times and we ought to know right from wrong - not only for ourselves but to steer away others from bad teaching, if we have the opportunity.

Eschatology is involved when we comfort someone after they have had a bereavement. “Therefore comfort one another with these words” (1 Thessalonians 4:18) That passage comes after teaching about Christ's return. 


 I'll stop now. But it's important. Certainly we ought to discuss these things in kindness, and with reverence toward the Word of God, but the fact that some discuss things in wrong ways, doesn't mean that we should not engage in right ways.



So after writing that, I felt a bit convicted by my own words!  Surely I ought not avoid the subject anymore myself.    As I said, I have a lot of books I need to get through before adding others to the list, but I would be very glad to hear recommendations for good (preferably from a Reformed perspective)  books on "end times."   

And please comment - it's been a bit empty and echo-y in here lately!  Hopefully I'll get some more reviews up before the end of the month - things have been a bit busy since August and it's been hard to read much.   



4 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I think most Christians tend to fall into the obsessive looking for signs mode or the ignoring it like its no consequence mode. I think my husband and I have vacillated between both views at some point, before settling for middle ground. I can't recommend any reading other than the Bible, but would be interested to hear about what you find. We do love the book of revelation. I think it's a shame that people steer clear of it, like Song of Songs, it has a lot to offer, but often gets ignored. It is actually my husbands favourite book of the Bible. I enjoy reading your blog, thanks for another interesting and thought provoking blog post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should say Revelation is my husbands favourite, as being relevant to the discussion, lol. Although Song of Songs would be OK to be his favourite too ;-)

      Delete
    2. Great to hear from you, thanks! And I agree with you - I've either been in churches where there is too much emphasis on end times, or so little that I feel that I've learned very little and feel a bit "floundery" in my ignorance. I was thrilled to have a bit of teaching touching on these themes last Sunday night as the pastor taught on the second part of Ephesians 2.

      Delete
  2. Some very good points. I have been of the not discussing mind because it seems people get so convinced theirs is the correct view that there is no discussing it with them. They seem to be thinking, 'it is my way or the highway' and so I avoided discussion in order to keep peace. But now I see how that may not be the stance I should take.

    ReplyDelete